Friday, November 09, 2007

Santa Clause is coming already?



Well, the Christmas music has begun to play on the radio, snow had its first fleeting appearance and the stores have suddenly become Santa shops. I always look forward to this time with anticipation as well as a little reservation. Since we have begun to shop without credit cards the last two years, I am not nearly as far a long in the gift buying as I would like to be. I have my list but only a few things have been checked as "done". Regretfully, I am already itching to bring out the Christmas decorations. Our house is very little so the tree and manger, though beautiful and meaningful, take up a lot of needed space so in that realization lies the reason I am hesitant to pull everything out. There is something in watching the tiny snowflakes and listening to "Santa Clause is coming to town", however, that stirs up warm thoughts and memories.

As a child, I never believed in Santa clause. I have had so many parents tell me that Christmas wouldn't be filled with the same magic and wonder without Santa, but honestly, I don't think I missed out on a thing. I remember turning off all the lights, except the ones on the tree, lying beneath the branches and dreaming of what could be beneath the deliciously wrapped gifts. Growing us several states away from family, also brought some advantages. Large packages would arrive leading up to December 25th filled with presents from relatives. I was a fortunate child growing up, so my dreams and hopes were usually physically embraced the morning of Christmas. There was one year that it wasn't quite so fun however. I decided to snoop in my parent's closet and look inside for hidden gifts. I found all but a few, and though they were exciting to discover, the faces of surprise I had to fake on Christmas Day were not worth the short term adrenaline rush.

Though we are not in the same financial status as my parents were back then, I am eager to recreate for my children the same sort of excitement. As gifts are purchased, they slowly appear magically under the tree until Christmas eve when the largest gifts arrive in front of the tree. We hang filled stockings on the door knobs (our creative replacement for the lack of fireplace mantle) and early when the sun rises we wake to hear happy voices raised in "yeahs!" and "cool!".
I could care less honestly, what presents are awaiting me on that day, the joy of watching our children enjoy the blessings God has given them far out weigh a new sweater or gift card.

Although, there is a little fun in unwrapping a gift picked out by your eight year old son, my greatest gifts are the people I am able to share this special time of year with.

Now, Thanksgiving, hurry up and get out of the way!

1 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Jaden's Mom said...

I love this time of year, too!! I am not feeling as "Christmasy" as I usually do, though, because other things are weighing on me this year. Still, as the season draws closer, I am feeling that Christmas spirit stirring in me.

Tamara is not making a huge deal about Santa Claus with Heidi. And it doesn't make her enjoy Christmas any less just because he isn't a part of it. She knows what Christmas is about, and it has nothing to do with a fat guy in a red suit. Although, that is fun. :)

I have most of my Christmas shopping done, only because we have been trying to keep it to a minimum the last few years. We just realize that we already have so very much, and we don't need a whole lot more. We're trying to teach Heidi the value of giving to those who do not have as much as we have been blessed with, and the Christmas season is the perfect time to do that. Still, Christmas shopping is a lot of fun, no matter who it's for!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home