Saturday, October 27, 2007

Single parenting this weekend



Todd left last night to help out on a youth retreat so while he is hanging with teens, I am alone hanging out with our kids. After Todd got on his way, the kids and I got our costumes on and went over to their elementary school for the annual "Monster Mash". I wasn't thrilled about it, but it ended up being a really fun time for the kids. As we lined up to get our tickets in, I took note that I was the ONLY parent in a costume. I hate to stand out and with my "bar maid" dress and messy hair I did catch glances my way. As we entered, I thought that at least the mom's that organized would be in the Halloween spirit, but...no. I made a point at the moment to make the best of it. Besides I found 5 or so more parents eventually who were dressed up. :)

The party was set up so that each class room had an activity or game and a prize for completing it. There were carnival style games, crafts, a haunted room and even a large blow up bouncer. They had a magician who was very entertaining, but many of the kids got a little antsy when i ran over 45 minutes. The funniest part of the night was when we went into the "fortune teller" room. I have to be honest, I hesitated to let the kids in, but realizing it was probably all in fun we went in. I laughed as soon as I saw the two high school students who were "performing". My first comment was " Somehow I can't see taking " Minnie Mouse" as a serious fortune teller". The students were goofy and fun and told the kids what they would be for Halloween (pretty easy to guess when they were WEARING their costumes!).

Though I miss Todd so much when he leaves for the weekend, I have had a great time with Hannah and Caleb. Today, Hannah and I worked together on a school project and then the three of us put together a shoe box Haunted House for Caleb to take to school. We even had time to do a devotional together.

When I am forced to devote all my time on my kids I realize just how much I treasure them. Just as long as Todd returns by Sunday night! LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home