Tuesday, December 11, 2007

WHY ARE FIGHTING OURSELVES?

It takes quite a lot to get me upset about things. Lately, however, I have become sad, then hurt, than just angry over the way Christians have treated others. It seems that with the movie "The Golden Compass", it has brought out the worst in some. I find it ironic that we as Christ followers are called to reach the world with God's love and yet we berate, belittle and call other followers "sinners". I can't understand why trying to be open and wanting to learn more about a movie with so much controversy is suddenly a sin and a reason to tell another Christian that they are in fact "not" if they move in that direction. I am tired of those who should be standing beside us in the battle of sin and life itself, instead turning and attacking those who stand on the same side. I am tired of Christians believing that everything is a battle. Yes, there are two sides and we need to chose one. However, perhaps the way that Jesus treated sinners and those who weren't from the "church" would be a clearer example of how we should act towards them and each other. Not attacking those who don't see things through your view would be a start. Not telling people you no longer respect them because they go to see a movie in order to learn more about it. What are we showing the world?

Until now, I have maintained a level of calm but right now, honestly, I am ticked. We are ALL sinners first of all. I am not perfect. I make mistakes. But I am also not afraid that my faith is so weak that I can not go into the fire and try to reach those people who may be searching.

If this is what I must take in order to do what I feel God is calling me to do, I will. But I can't sit back and watch us eat each other alive either.

To all those who are on the offensive, please take a deep breath and lower your sword. Its digging much too deep into my skin.

7 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Amy (ArtsyBookishGal) said...

Wow, Kim, that was powerful, especially your closing...and you wonder why I want you to write for YMX.

Anyway, I know how you feel. The biggest complaint I've heard from people who have seen THE GOLDEN COMPASS was that it wasn't all that good.

I remember when the the third Harry Potter movie came out, Sarah and I went to see it right after church. Some people asked us what we were up to and we had thought the HP issue was history, so we invited them to the movie. I think they wanted to throw holy water on us or something. One of the girls recoiled as if I had just suggested we go kill puppies and eat their spleens. I distinctly remember her saying, "How can you be a Christian and go see *that*?" I wanted to say, "How can you be a Christian and not feed the poor?" But I just walked away.

The thing with carrying swords--not only do we end up stabbing our brother and sisters, we often end up stabbing ourselves in the hearts, too. Thanks for being vulnerable enough to share yours with everyone. It's one of the many reasons I love you.

That, and because you like to sing Broadway show songs loudly into the Washington wilderness with me.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Kimmy Porter said...

Thanks, Amy, what you said meant a heck of a lot to me.

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very well put, as usual. i haven't wanted to see the movie from the beginning, but at the same time, did not get involved in the whole boycotting thing. i simply decided that i wouldn't go see it. i certainly was not one to judge someone for seeing it when i watch other movies that i'm sure i probably shouldn't. i felt the same as you when i read some of the words between people about this subject. the first thought that came to mind was that satan must be sitting back grinning from ear to ear for the division within the family of God this has caused. so, amen sister!! love ya!

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Kim, that was intense. Very well said.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Your post reminds me of this bit from Galatians 5 (the freedom passage)... v15 says If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

Really great point, Kim.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Todd Porter said...

YOU GO GIRL! I am proud to have you as my daughter(in-law). The sad part of it all is that the church is using all it's energy to attack it's own. No wonder we don't have victory over the enemy all our energy is used up when the real battle comes around

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Kimmy Porter said...

Thanks, mom. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home