Thursday, October 13, 2005

Working in Panera has given me an interesting perspective on how we as humans behave. Every morning I work in the bakery and have the opportunity to give out the daily "fuel" (mainly coffee) to all the mall walkers. These are generally older retired people who "hang out" in our restaurant, drink coffee and their biggest decision for the day is which pastry to try today. Some of them are very predictable and I am beginning to know what they will order before they get to my register. Some of them stay so long they eventually order lunch so they can linger longer. They have close friends whom they tease, laugh with and share concerns with. They are living life in the slow lane. Time doesn't seem to matter to them.

Me, I'm am just the opposite.

I live each moment ahead of myself, trying to anticipate what the next hour or minute will bring. I can't seem to stay in the present and instead seem to be missing out on things happening right NOW. I know that working, raising two kids and being the best partner possible to Todd requires a lot of time and preplanning. But I am also realizing that in order for me to be the best at all of those things, I have to live where I am right now. Even if "right now" is the farthest from where I really want to be.

I'm sure they will never know the impact these precious seniors have had on me, but I am awful glad I've been able to share in their moments.

Even if its just serving them coffee.

2 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Jaden's Mom said...

That is such great insight!!!

I've been feeling that way a bit lately myself...I spend so much time focusing on where I would like to be, I completely miss all the joy of where I am RIGHT NOW.

I am light years away from where I would like to be...I would like to be moved into my own place, FOR REAL...not just a place that I can consider my own because it has its own entrance. I would like to be moved closer to my church, my friends, and the college I am attending...and I've spent so much energy working on these goals, trying to figure out how I am going to achieve them on the wage I am currently making, I have lost sight of "now". It is such an easy thing to do, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing this, Kim. It helped bring be back to center.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Mama Ginny said...

Thanks for the reminder. I needed that.

Love you so much!
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home