Friday, September 30, 2005

Things have improved quite a bit on the job front. It has been fun having friends and family come to visit (though I can't sit and chat like I'd rather do). This week, my mom, brother, nephew, and friends Amy and Francine all came by!! Still not happy about working almost everyday this week, but I am finally getting the "hang" of the register!

Okay, I guess I should confess that I have had a few "incidents" while I am adjusting.
Thursday, while speedily filling orders in the bakery, I was putting a bagel in the toaster (as I have done hundreds of times by now). The toaster oven has a rack that slowly moves toward the back of the toaster and then deposits the bagel on the bottom. Pretty simple. Slice bagel, open carefully with baking paper then place in toaster flat.

WELL, this time something went terribly wrong.

See the thin baking paper that is suppose to protect the customers from my "germs", decided to inflame before my eyes!!! Suddenly, I was holding a flaming paper in my hand and my only reaction was to DROP IT IN THE TRASH! Thankfully, my brain was still half working and I heard the customer say "Don't put it in the garbage!" so I quickly took the metal tongs and lifted the burning trash out and stomped the whole thing frantically. After all the black ashed settled, I breathed a sigh of relief and somehow was able to retrieve the bagel which had mean while been toasting nicely in the toaster.

Thankfully, there were no managers in sight!

Later, another employee assured me I was not the first person to have something catch on fire, nor the first to throw it in the garbage. I was, however, the first person to take it OUT of the garbage and stomp it out!

I guess I felt a little better afterwards.

Just keep the toaster away from me!!!

4 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Jaden's Mom said...

I'm glad to hear that things are improving! lol

Look at it this way...chances are, you've got the worst of it behind you now. :)

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Todd Porter said...

you are so cute!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Adam McLane said...

ok, so I don't know if this is polite or not... but your story made my day. Thanks for sharing this.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Kimmy Porter said...

yes, its very polite! i'm glad it made your day better! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home