Thursday, July 21, 2005

Sweet little Hannah

It is amazing to think that almost eight years ago I was large and over due, waiting for the birth of our first baby. It was so incredible, yet so terrifying at the same time. I had my bags packed, the nursery ready and baby clothes (in neutral colors) washed and folded. All we were missing was a beautiful child to make her way into the world. Two days before I was scheduled to be induced, I woke up to the sound of rain pouring down. Todd woke at the same moment and without a thought dashed out of the house at full speed. His beloved Jeep was outside with it's top down.
I got up to use the restroom (as pregnant women seem to do a lot) and felt slight contractions. I decided to make a quick request and prayed "God, if I am in labor, please let my water break so I know". Sure enough, a few short hours later, I felt a trickle and woke up Todd quietly. "My water broke". Suddenly, he jumped up and begin frantically feeling our water bed. "OH!" He said, " I thought you meant the water bed broke!" I laughed and so began Hannah's slow enter into this world.
There are so many crazy and uncomfortable things that occur in a birth of a child (especially the first one) that we don't have the chance to look into the future and wonder what this beautiful creature is going to become.
Now, as I have had eight years of worry, regret, happiness and pride, I can't imagine life without her. I see so much potential in her, yet, I realize she has to make the decision one day as to where she will go, what she will do, who she will marry... It is so humbling to think I had the opportunity to raise her and have a hand in forming who she will become. Ultimately, though I realize that it is her heavenly Father who will guide her through life. That alone gives me comfort when I watch her grow so quickly.
And so, as we celebrate Hannah's eighth year with us, I can only say "Thank you, God, for choosing us to raise her."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home