Tuesday, January 17, 2006


The Big 3-0

At the end of this month, I will be entering a new decade of life. No longer will I be able to hold onto the sweet twenties and for that I mourn just a bit. As much as people dread their thirties, forties and so on, I find myself only reacting because it is fun, not really because I feel terribly old. I have this curse, though some say it is a blessing, of a very young appearance and am mistaken for someone much younger than I really am. I claim it as a curse, only because there is a lack of respect that comes with looking younger. I am called "sweetie", "young lady", and many other tiresome names at work and strangely it aggravates me to no end. Last week, a new manager gave me numerous jobs to fulfill before he would "let me go". I was aggravated because it was already 15 minutes past my end time but the icing on the cake was his "Here you go, young lady" after unlocking a door I needed to get into to. I wanted to scream "I am married, have two children and am most likely older than you!" but... I didn't. I smiled of course and said a small "thanks" and continued my jobs.
I guess after reaching our ten years of marriage, having a daughter who is almost nine and being at the closing end of my twenties, I expect a little respect. Not that I want anyone to address me as ma'am but just to acknowledge occasionally that I have a little life experience and I have an important life outside of Panera Bread.

Maybe I am being too harsh on the world's judgment of age and appearance. Most women would be boastful to being called "sweetie". In a perfect world, we would gain respect no matter our age, but until then I suppose I will just keep sucking it up and smile instead.

So here's to the beginning of a new decade!

Happy birthday, Self!

4 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I cried the night before I turned 30!!!!! Of curse, i don't look as young as you do LOL

YAY FOR YOUR BDAY!!!!!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Todd Porter said...

Panera Bread Loves You Sweetie :)
You are the Bomb!!
To our very own Mrs. Tranquil A Happy 30th..

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Todd Porter said...

the above comment was from brenda!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger moosey said...

You know i know how you feel. It's a blessing, but a curse sometimes, too. At least i don't get carded anymore! If it makes you feel any better, i think that you are wise beyond your years and have learned a great deal from you. And just think about how great you'll look when you're 60!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home