Friday, November 04, 2005

I have just entered into an uncomfortable part of parenthood. I just got off the phone with a neighbor whose three boys are best friends with Caleb. They all love to be together and seem to travel in packs around the homes on our street. They have had their ups and downs as far as friendships go. They fight, say means things to each other, but in the end they are always friends. There is one little boy, however, that is not previledged to be a part of the "club". Nick is a few years younger than Caleb, but very sweet and friendly. He only began to be able to visit our house without his mom bringing him over and he is so julibant to join in with the older kids.

That is, however, when they let him.

I have listened to awful, hurtful words come from the pack. One boy in particular has actually dropped all the toys in his hands and walked right out the door when Nick arrived on our doorstep. Caleb has caught on that his friends will leave if Nick is around, so he joined in the terrible chants. I received a phone call from Nick's mom who wanted to make sure I was aware of the problem. How sad I was to have to admit that my son was a part of the pain her son was enduring. We have talked with Caleb over and over, I have talked with his friends and today after dealing with it long enough, I spoke with the mother down the street.

I hate confrontation and so I have learned how to soften my voice and not accuse. I was not even sure if she was aware of the situation so I was nervous to talk with her. She is a Christian, but everyone knows how a Lioness will defend her cubs when they are threatened. I was so relieved when I began to mention the situation and she immediately told me she had just been addressing it with her boys. (loud sigh of relief)
Her solution was to "force" interaction between them. Make them invite Nick over. I'm sure if that is the perfect solution, but I am content that we will all be making the same effort together.

Thank you, God for giving me godly neighbors. Just please help our boys to learn to love the way You do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home