Monday, December 12, 2005

So, Christmas is coming in two weeks and I have not even completed my Christmas cards.

This year, it seems I am being taught the lesson of "you can't do it all". I usually have all the presents bought by the end of October, 80 homemade Christmas cards sent out right after Thanksgiving and all the gifts wrapped under the tree. I love preparing for this holiday. I guess my kiddish heart still relives all the magic once upon a time. I can recall many nights when I would go into the living room, turn out all the lights and lay under the glistening tree dreaming of what the treasures there could be. Sometimes, if I was really brave, I would try to tear just a small corner off a gift in hopes that I would reveal the mystery. One Christmas, I even went looking for my gifts and found every one in my parent's closet. What a fun secret to keep, until the morning I had to unwrap each one and fake the surprise and joy that had slowly faded.

Though my anticipation for Christmas day is not less, the worries and unbought gifts make me wish that day was not quite so close. And yet, the other part of me just wants to get it over and move on to 2006. We have made some big difficult decisions these last few months and the new year feels full of promise, freedom (and hopefully a new job).
So though you may not receive a card from us this year,know that we are so thankful for our family and our friends who have supported us through this year of constant change. You have helped us keep our emotions in check, our hearts softened and our eyes straining to see what He'll bring next.

Merry Christmas!!

5 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger Amy (ArtsyBookishGal) said...

I love Christmas! I still get psyched about presents on Christmas morning...but the presents I'm getting others. I will say that one of the best gifts this past year has been your support and friendship. Even through the rough times, you were there for me. Merry Christmas to you Porter folks!

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger sonflowergurl said...

Can I copy and paste your post into my blog? :)

My thoughts and prayers are with you all daily, even though I'm in a bit of a hibernation mode these days.

Let's pray that 2006 brings much blessing and joy for all of us!!!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Jaden's Mom said...

I love this time of year, too. My favorite part of Christmas is being able to spoil others with gifts I know they will love, and watching their surprise and joy as they open the gifts I have chosen for them.

I have not been able to do much of that this year. The Christmas gifts I purchased, to the limited extent I was able to purchase anything, were purchased at Dollar General, and are a mere fraction of what I was able to buy for my friends and family last year.

This year has been a difficult adjustment. I'm used to being able to have enough money to more than amply spoil those that I'm closest to. It has been hard for me to feel "Christmasy" when I am not able to enjoy my favorite part of Christmas.

Yet, it has also caused me to evaluate my priorities, remember what is important, and think about the promising future instead of letting the disappointments of the past steal what joy I do have. It has been a season of learning difficult, but much needed, lessons in surrender.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Kimmy Porter said...

That girl, you said it. It is most certainly a year of surrender! Thanks for your comment.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Mama Ginny said...

Kim,

It has been our pleasure to have God allow us to be part of your lives. I could not be any more proud than I am of you and Todd and the way that you have grown this past year. It truly has been a year of surrender and you both have been willing to give Him your all. Thanks for a wonderful Christmas day and the beautiful heartfelt gift (Todd may not have written it but I know his heart says Amen.) I love you both and will continue to thank God on a regular basis for you and those two beautiful grandkids. We are soooooo blessed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home