Friday, January 23, 2009

Trusting One Day at a Time

I had no idea what truth I spoke when I said that we needed to take things one day at a time. We have now completed week one of Todd's lay off and God has been truly supplying our needs before we even have them. Last week, we were given a grocery gift card from an anonymous person in our church two days before Todd was laid off. At the time, I thought, "We don't deserve this! There are families that don't have jobs that need it more than us." Then, we found out we were one of those families.

Last Saturday, while making breakfast, I told God that it was okay if we had to eat eggs for dinner more often. They were cheap and besides, we liked them. The next day, a wonderful woman dropped by bread and treats from a bakery as well as one dozen eggs. She told me that the Lord told her to bring us a dozen eggs. I was dumb-founded.

This past week, we received Todd's last paycheck and just as I was starting to fold to the stress that kept creeping in, we received a card from someone else in the church with a check inside. Then, Todd got a call from a friend who needed some help with a side job. We now have enough money to get us through next week as well as grocery money. I can't even begin to explain how overwhelmed with gratitude I am.

For so long, it had felt like my prayers fell into a pit of emptiness. I have spent the last four years asking God to please tell us what to do and until now, I never got an answer. I believe that He is simply telling us to trust Him to supply our needs one day at a time. Even though, I want to look at what is coming next, I know that I need to rely on Him to take care of tomorrow.

As I reflect on this whole experience, I've realized that God has not been ignoring me. As much as I have wanted Todd to return to ministry, I got comfortable with the stability of Todd's job, our home and our church. It was such a slow transformation, that I had no idea what changes were going on in my heart. Now, I realize that perhaps God needed to shake us up a bit so that He can get us past our comfort and onto the next step. I believe its already working!

I know that I should be afraid knowing that we will have to make hard decisions regarding everything from bills to pay to whether we can keep our home long term, but I'm not. I am actually really excited to see what He is going to do next.

I just have to get past today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home