Friday, August 15, 2008

Salon Woes


I do not like to spend a lot on my hair. Only until about two years ago did I even start doing more to it than washing and letting it air dry. The last hair cut I had was on my birthday (January) and I went to my favorite salon called Total Salon and Spa. I spent over $50 dollars and walked out feeling amazing. It was my birthday present to myself.

It had been eight months since that glorious day and I had not had a hair cut since. I am cheap so I will wait 6 to 8 months just so that I can justify spending a chunk of money on a great hair cut. Last week, I found a coupon for a different salon right around the corner and I thought "BONUS! I can get a great cut and save $$$".

Well, it didn't quite work out that way.

I told the hair stylist I needed an inch or so off the bottom and that I wanted to keep my layers. I also told her I blow dry it straight often to get out the waves. She proceeded to cut my hair almost to my shoulders (which once reached the middle of my back), then decided that my hair was much nicer wavy and began putting mouse in my hair and scrunching it. THEN, she took a comb and RATTED my roots, pulled out a blow dryer and dried it while continuing to scrunch. For the finale', she took a round brush and "straightened" the front of my hair. Then came the hairspray.

By the time she was done, my daughter, Hannah could not even look straight at me. When I paid the cashier, she asked if I "liked it". Being the ridiculously polite person that I am, I said something like, "well, it will be nice to have a fresh hair cut."

As soon as we got around the corner of the salon, I pulled over in the car and searched frantically for a rubber band, clip ANYTHING! I had to walk around Meijer in that haircut and I did not feel like looking like someone from a heavy metal band. Of course, I had nothing, so I tried to smooth it out as much as possible and as soon as we got home, I headed straight for the sink.

Needless to say, once I was able to wash it out and style it, my hair looked fine. I have certainly learned that its always better to be safe and spend a little more.

Oh well, lesson learned.

3 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Mariana said...

I will one day bring the picture out but I had a simular experience but with highlights too! Nathan said I looked like Rod Stewart! I too have learned to spend a little more and never go some place new.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Elle Bee said...

My friend recommended that I try the beauty school... she's always had great experiences.

But, I always hate my hair. All the time. I'd like to shave my head. :)

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to a place in the mall and spend $20 including a tip about 3-4 times a year and usually they do a great job. I try to spend a little more on shampoo to sustain my hair.

But it is very discouraging no matter where you go to have someone clearly *not* style your hair the way you want. Plus, I always get nervous if the hairdresser I get has really ugly hair. I mean, if she has ugly hair, what are my chances?

I'm sorry it wasn't the fun experience you wanted it to be but glad that the damage was fixable. Plus, I'm sure you still looked beautiful no matter what--how could you not?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home