Thursday, February 14, 2008

All I Need is Him


Today, while having lunch with my mom at Big Boy's, we met a young woman who was very enthusiastic about the holiday. Apparently, for the first time, she had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day and she couldn't wait until tonight. Her boyfriend had actually pursued her for two years and she finally gave in. Now she is being overwhelmed with flowers, fancy dinners and so on. I had to smile as she went on about what their plans were tonight. Not because I had any big plans myself. Todd is actually going to a get together to celebrate his friend's birthday and I will be at home relaxing after a crazy day. We will be celebrating together next weekend while the kids go to my parents house. I was smiling because inside I know what it is like to feel so excited about new romance. I know what it feels like to receive 2 dozen roses, go to fancy dinners and feel so much anticipation leading up to seeing the man I love. I've never been one to really care about getting roses or fancy dinners, it was the anticipation that I lived for. Now, after being married over 12 years, I find that those gifts still are not important to be. Being married with kids, the practical side tends to take over and spending $50 on flowers seems too wasteful. Even though we may not celebrate the way we used to, the anticipation I have to spend an evening with Todd ALONE is still just as great. I had heard that love grows founder as the years go by, but now I know just how true that really is. I could never imagine loving someone the way that I love Todd. I know he is not perfect and I love that about him. I don't want someone who never makes mistakes because I would feel completely inadequate next to him. I love that his commitment to me goes beyond the vows we said or the rings we wear. I love that he still adores me and calls me "Beautiful". I look forward to each passing year because I know that no matter what obstacles we have to face, we will do it together.

This Valentine's Day, I don't need candy, flowers or even a card. I just need him.

2 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Todd Porter said...

Thanks, Beautiful! I look forward to us growing old together and even deeper in love.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger ENJOY LIFE said...

You two make me proud!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home